- Marketing and Communications Strategy
- Media Relations
- Social Media Outreach
- Brand Development
- Content Management
- Event Management
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, B.A., Human Services, concentration in Communication, 1995
- Professional Development Fellowship, US Department of State, 2011
- Penn Foster Career School, 2011 – 2012 – Certification, Adobe InDesign Cs5
- George P. Shultz National Foreign Affairs Training Center, Foreign Service Institute, 2010 – 2011
- South Carolina Senate – Governmental and Constituent Relations, 2012 – 2014
- US Department of State, US Consulate Montreal – Community Liaison, 2010 – 2012
- Joan Day Kelley, Ltd. Co. – Event Management and Consulting, 2007 – 2015
- Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd – Governmental Relations, 2001 – 2002
- Member, Leadership SC Alumni Association
- Graduate, Leadership SC Class of 2016
- Member, Executive Committee, Women in Philanthropy, 2016
- Member, Public Relations Society of America, SC Chapter
- Member, South Carolina Economic Developers’ Association
- Member-at-Large, Magnolia Key Home Owners’ Association
Joan D. Kelley
Joan, a native of Laurens, South Carolina, was raised in Mooresville, North Carolina, and is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Joan spent seven years in the Washington, D.C. area supporting her husband’s career and focusing on raising their young children. During this time, she established her own consulting business working with clients to manage large-scale events and create unique communications.
In 2009, her family moved to Montreal, Quebec, for her husband’s three-year Diplomatic assignment, during which time Joan coordinated events for the U.S. Consul General of Montreal and supported visits from the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, as well as visits from The U.S. President’s Cabinet Members. She savored the entire experience—French culture, diverse population, cuisine and fashion—and made the most of city-living. In 2012, her family returned to South Carolina and shortly thereafter, Joan was appointed to a position in the S.C. Senate working for two state senators handling the senators’ legislative, administrative, and constituent affairs. Joan’s time in the Senate offices provided her further experience in governmental relations and a broad understanding of local governance, policy-making and the state budget process.
Joan is now utilizing her entrepreneurial spirit at SC Power Team as Marketing and Communications Director. In this role, she is creating a new marketing department from the ground-up and establishing a communications plan that supports the organization’s five-year strategic blueprint.
Joan lives in Chapin, SC, with her husband, Frank, and their two children, Trevor and Emily Grace. During the summer, Joan and her family enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, and boating on Lake Murray. Most of her spare time is spent with her family enjoying various sporting events and local community activities.
Things other people say about Joan …
Joan brings a touch of class to everything she does.
Her passion is …
family, creativity, ballet and event planning.
My most precious time is spent …
with my husband, Frank, our kids, and our family’s dachshund, Bentley.
Interesting facts …
Joan has met three U.S. Presidents.
Who Joan was back then …
a varsity cheerleader for the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.