South Carolina Advantages
Over eight years ago, one of the most prominent names in the IT and Data Center sector – Google – chose South Carolina for a data center and has since doubled capacity of their facility.
South Carolina’s growth in the Data Center industry is projected to grow by 11% within the next five years – higher than the national projected growth rate.
South Carolina is comprised of excellent resources and incentives in the data center industry, such as:
- For data centers, South Carolina has eliminated sales tax on electricity for projects involving an investment of more than $50 million and 25 employees. This tax exemption also extends to computer-related purchases such as servers and software
- An impressive telecommunications network, complete with digital switching centers, copper and fiber-optic cable and redundancy
- Intel has a Research & Development center in Columbia, SC, which focuses on developing new telecommunication services
- A diverse mix of energy sources, including hydroelectric, nuclear, coal and natural gas and rates averaging 15% below the national average
- A home to a number of military installations and entities, all of which have data and cyber security demands
- A workforce of a large number of former military members who possess critical technical and security skills needed in data centers.
Workforce Education & Training
- readySC™ and Apprenticeship Carolina™
- Provides skills and technical training to employees of new and expanding businesses in South Carolina.
- Works closely with new companies to provide the recruiting, training and workforce development tools and assistance they need to get up and running.
- Helps a company’s workforce continue to grow by guiding companies through the registered apprenticeship process from initial information to full recognition in the National Registered Apprenticeship System.
- A non-profit collaboration of businesses, academic institutions and organizations in South Carolina dedicated to growing the IT talent pipeline and advancing the IT profession
- Works alongside IT professionals and their companies to provide innovative professional development opportunities, such as their Gartner Big Data Conference, Institute for the Management of IT, Palmetto Open Source Software Conference (POSSCON) and IT Gateway
- Works with K-12 schools to promote, teach and grow the IT profession, including programs such as their Next Generation IT internship program, Create IT and Make IT Happen camps, Cyber Saturdays and Job Shadowing opportunities
- Center for Applied Innovation
Center for Applied Innovation – Partnership with IBM, Fluor Corporation and University of South Carolina (opening in 2016 in USC’s Innovista Research District)
- A 10-year, $70 million partnership which offers students unique opportunities to learn both in and outside the classroom for real-world training and to further hone their IT skills
- Will aim to support and maintain many of USC’s enterprise applications, including BlackBoard, Banner and PeopleSoft systems
- Will work alongside USC’s College of Engineering and Computing, the Darla Moore School of Business and other academic units to foster new learning environments involving students and private industry
- Clemson University’s CyberInstitute
SmartState Center of Economic Excellence
- Concentrates its research on developing, testing and evaluating prototype cyberinfrastructure equipment and programs, which can help companies better organize and coordinate data and manage projects and more effectively collaborate with colleagues who may be in various geographical locations
- Connects research and scholarship in the data field to the commercial sector through corporate partnerships
- South Carolina Technical College System
- Offers numerous information technology courses, including degrees and certifications in Information Systems Security, Health Information Science, Advanced Information Processing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analysis
- Partners with both Clemson University and the University of South Carolina to provide advanced training